The Koskie Minsky University Lecture will be delivered on Friday, November 3rd at 5:30pm by Dr. David Weil, the incoming Dean of the Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University in Boston. Dr. Weil is the author of The Fissured Workplace: Why Work Became So Bad For So Many and What Can Be Done To Improve It (Harvard Press, 2014) and also served as a senior administrator at the U.S. Department of Labour during the later years of the Obama Administration.
The Conference Program
The Western Law/Fasken Martineau Conference on Labour Law on Saturday, 4th November, will consist of four panels, as well as several prominent speakers during the day:
Opening Remarks: Mr. Brian Burkett, senior partner, Fasken Martineau LLP
- The Political Economy of Workplace Precariousness
- Chair – David Weil, Brandeis University
- Sheila Block, Senior Economist, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, Toronto.
- Rafael Gomez, Director, Central for Industrial Relations and Human Resources, University of Toronto
- Wayne Lewchuk, LIUNA Enrico Henry Mancinelli Professor in Global Labour Issues, Department of Economics, McMaster University
- Employment Standards and the Fissuring Workplace
- Chair, Richard Brabander, Vice-Chair, Canada Industrial Relations Board
- Kevin Banks, Associate Professor, Faculty of Law & Director, Centre for Law in the Contemporary Workplace, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario.
- Harry Arthurs, President Emeritus of York University and Chair, Federal panel, Fairness in the Workplace (2006)
- Leah Vosko, Professor, Canada Research Chair, Department of Political Science, York University, Toronto
Luncheon Speech: Mr. Hassan Yusseff, President, Canadian Labour Congress
- Labour Law and the Fissuring Workplace
- Chair, Bernie Fishbein, Chair, Ontario Labour Relations Board
- Fay Faraday, labour and constitutional lawyer and author, Toronto
- Andrew Sims, labour arbitrator and former chair, Alberta Labour Relations Board, Edmonton.
- Sandra Sperino, Associate Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Cincinnati
- Fundamental Rights and the Future of Workplace Law
- Chair: Hassan Yussuff, President, Canadian Labour Congress
- Diane MacDonald, General Counsel, British Columbia Teachers’ Federation
- Ben Oliphant, lawyer, Gall Legge Grant Zwack LLP, Vancouver
- Chris Pigott, lawyer, Fasken Martineau LLP, Toronto