About Empire State College:
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 46-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students’ diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 20,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor’s and master’s degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College seeks an Associate Dean for Labor Studies to lead the Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Center for Labor Studies. This academic leader will be responsible for the current Van Arsdale labor studies program in Manhattan, while continuing to develop high quality labor studies programs throughout SUNY Empire State College.
The Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Center for Labor Studies is one of the founding programs of Empire State College and serves approximately 1,900 students through partnerships with several trade unions in New York City. The Van Arsdale Center is a liberal arts program with a strong labor foundation that was inspired by and named in honor of Harry Van Arsdale Jr. of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 3. Harry Van Arsdale Jr. was a major twentieth century labor leader, who promoted ongoing education for all union workers. SUNY Empire State College is committed to continuously growing and improving the Van Arsdale Center by expanding our labor-centered programming through new curriculum and program development and by pursuing partnership opportunities with unions throughout New York State.
The Associate Dean for Labor Studies will collaborate with senior Academic Affairs leadership to expand student success with high quality labor studies programming that promotes innovation in teaching, mentoring and learning. This academic leader will work closely with our labor faculty, professional employees, and support staff to develop student and academic services to meet the needs of working students. The Associate Dean will collaborate with the Vice President for Enrollment Management (VPEM) to strengthen recruitment and enrollment strategies and work closely with the Associate Vice President for Programs and Partnerships to grow partnerships with labor organizations across New York State and the United States. This academic administrator will also collaborate with the Executive Director for International Education to assess the potential for international partnerships.
The Associate Dean reports to, and works closely with, the Dean of Undergraduate Studies, and joins a collaborative peer group of Associate Deans supervising faculty in other broad disciplinary areas; and collaborates with academic and enrollment management leadership throughout the college.
Responsibilities include supervision of faculty, professionals, and staff, as well as recruitment, hiring and evaluation of full-time, part-time, and adjunct faculty. The Associate Dean for Labor Studies oversees and manages the development of annual programs for all employees at the Center. This leadership position is responsible for faculty development related to mentoring, teaching, scholarship, as well as college and community service and continued growth. The successful candidate will promote a dynamic and collaborative environment supporting faculty and staff efforts college-wide in the development of labor studies learning opportunities across multiple teaching modalities, development of new degree programs in the field, assessment of learning outcomes and enhanced student support and enrollment services.
- Collaborates with the Associate Vice President for Programs and Partnerships on developing new academic partnerships with labor and labor based organizations, workers associations, joint labor-management education initiatives in NYC, across New York State and the U.S.
- Cultivates new partnerships with college-and university-based worker and labor education programs
- Strengthens and expands existing partnerships in industry and academia
- Provides leadership for academic quality review and outcomes assessment projects, working with faculty and staff
- Provides leadership on development and review of curricula, including curricular breadth, depth, and quality
- Collaborates with faculty and the Office of Academic Affairs leadership on new labor studies program development
- Provides ongoing faculty development, and conducts personnel reviews, for full and part time faculty in the academic area
- Connects faculty to curriculum and instructional design resources, and encourages and supports individual faculty scholarly and creative work
- Responsible for supervision of full and part-time faculty in the academic area
- Provides oversight for student waivers, grievances, appeals, academic standing (SAP, GPA, POP), reinstatements, conduct and disciplinary cases
- Collaborates with Academic Affairs and Enrollment Management leadership with developing outreach initiatives
- Promotes the visibility and reputation of the Labor Studies Program at Empire State College
- Manages fiscal resources to include budget planning and ongoing review in consultation with the Dean of undergraduate studies
- An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited U.S. university or comparable non-U.S. university in an appropriate field
- Demonstrated successful experience in academic administration including curriculum development, outcomes assessment and the supervision of tenured and adjunct faculty
- Demonstrated leadership in successful development of academic programs and partnerships
- Experience working with labor organizations and demonstrated understanding and familiarity with the labor movement
- A vision for guiding the future direction of labor studies at Empire State College
- Respected as someone with a labor presence in the wider labor community
- Excellent communication and management skills
- A record of scholarly activity
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education and within our communities
- Direct experience with programmatic accreditation, research based grant initiatives, applying outcomes assessment in leading innovative teaching and learning initiatives
- A vision for guiding the future direction of labor studies at Empire State College Move up to required qualifications
- Experience with online and blended delivery models
- Proven affinity with the mission of the college
- Ability to support productive dialog
This is a Management/Confidential position. Travel to regions with other Empire State College locations is required, along with occasional evening and weekend obligations. VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Rank/Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button :
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
Returning Applicants – Please click here to login to your Empire State College Employment Account to check your completed application or to update your account.