SUNY Empire State College seeks a Program Director (State title: Staff Associate) for Labor Studies at the Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Center for Labor Studies in Manhattan. The Program Director will work closely with the Associate Dean for Labor Studies to strengthen and expand the academic programs and partnerships with labor organizations in New York City and across New York State.
The Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Center for Labor Studies is one of the founding programs of Empire State College and serves approximately 1,900 students through partnerships with several trade unions in New York City. The Van Arsdale Center is a liberal arts program with a strong labor foundation that was inspired by and named in honor of Harry Van Arsdale Jr. of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 3. Harry Van Arsdale Jr. was a major twentieth century labor leader, who promoted ongoing education for all union workers. SUNY Empire State College is committed to continuously growing and improving the Van Arsdale Center by expanding our labor programming through new curriculum and program development and by pursuing partnership opportunities throughout New York State.
The Program Director for Labor Studies reports to and works closely with the Associate Dean for Labor Studies. The Program Director will assist the Associate Dean in managing and directing resources in Manhattan while expanding labor studies programs and partnerships to our college locations across New York State and internationally. This Director-level professional position is a key resource for our faculty, professional employees, and support staff at the Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Center for Labor Studies and has wide responsibility to support all of our labor programs and partnerships. The Program Director for Labor Studies will collaborate with colleagues throughout SUNY Empire State College, including the Office of Academic Affairs (OAA), Office of Enrollment Management (OEM), and Office of Administration (OA).
Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Strengthens and maintains partnerships with labor and labor based organizations, workers associations, joint labor-management education initiatives, and partnerships with college-and university-based worker and labor education programs
- Develops and coordinates non-credit educational opportunities and programs with and for existing and potential partners
- Assists the Associate Dean for Labor Studies in managing resources for emerging programs
- Collaborates with colleagues in the Office of Enrollment Management on recruitment and enrollment strategies
- Develops and coordinates programmatic and promotional relationships with existing partners and other appropriate units of the college
- Assists in the planning and implementation of projects that document and portray the work culture of the building trades and other unionized sectors
- Prepares promotional materials and implements an appropriate communication plan
- Communicates with faculty about the curricular needs of new constituencies
- Assists the Associate Dean for Labor Studies with other special projects as needed
- An earned Masters degree from a regionally accredited U.S. university or comparable non-U.S. university in an appropriate field
- Familiarity with New York City and New York State trade unions and labor organizations
- Knowledge of the labor movement
- Experience in working with labor and worker organizations
- Respected as someone with a labor presence in the wider labor community
- A vision for guiding the future direction of labor studies at the Van Arsdale Center and Empire State College
- Excellent communication and management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education and within our communities
- Strategic planning
- Budgeting and resource allocation
- Enrollment planning
- Experience with online and blended delivery models
- Proven affinity with the mission of the college
- Ability to support productive dialog
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
- This is a professional Director-level position
- This position is located in Manhattan and travel to regions with other Empire State College locations is required, along with occasional evening and weekend obligations.
Rank/Salary: Commensurate with experience
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button :
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
Returning Applicants – Please click here to login to your Empire State College Employment Account to check your completed application or to update your account.